Saturday, September 21, 2013
To those new in the ward the concept of Ward Date Night may be new. So let me take a minute to explain.
In reality, Ward Date Night is no different than any other ward activity. We have a committee that plans it. We try to do things that are fun. There is usually food. Most important, it costs you nothing.
So, if that sounds like a normal ward activity, why do we call it Ward Date Night?
Simple, you all attend this ward activity with a date.
But how do we do that?
Again, that is simple. The Ward Date Night committee not only plans and executes the activity, they also assign who will be going with whom. Now that may seem like a restriction of your agency. Well, get over it. It is just for an hour or two and there in no pressure to create from this data a lasting relationship. It is just a date, nothing more, nothing less.
Here is how it works.
1. The Ward Date Night leaders announce when the activity will take place and what we will be doing.
2. They send around a sign up sheet to get as many of youth sign up as possible.
3. They personally contact all those who did not sign up to make sure no one was missed.
4. They make sure we have an even number of guys and girls so that each person is actually on a date.
5. They inform the guys who their date will be.
6. The guys must ask the girls at least three days prior to the activity.
7. On the day of the activity, the guy picks up the girl and takes her to the activity.
8. When the activity is over, the guy takes the girl home.
It couldn't be any easier.
Now, if you are a committed relationship, a commitment you have both agreed upon, you let the Ward Date Night leaders know and they will not assign you a date.
Our first Ward Date Night will be this Saturday. We have reserved the Wlikinson Center bowling ally for just our ward at 10:00 a.m. We have one hour of free bowling. After that hour, we will go upstairs to a room we reserved in the Wlik for some light refreshments.
I know you are all busy, but this active will take less than two hours on a Saturday.
Remember, this is a commandment. As it states in D&C 139:1
"Thou shalt all attend Ward Date Night ."
It is hard to argue with scriptures, even those I make up.
If you are still confused, please see this link from last year to gain greater clarity.